For Pastor Jake's book, Click link: " How To Read the Bible, [without becoming a cult-leader, heretic, snake-handler, Pharisee, ect...] by Pastor Jake Magee
Bible Reading Tips:
- Get a readable version: English Standard Version, New International Version, New American Standard Version, New King James Version.
- Consider upgrading to a Study Bible: ESV Study Bible.
- Pick a Bible Reading Plan: https://www.ligonier.org/blog/bible-reading-plans
- Study with other people: Attend Sunday mornings and a small group regularly.
- Use online resources like Blue Letter Bible: www.blueletterbible.org
Use the S.O.A.P. method: S.O.A.P. is a method of Bible reading and journaling. It can be used with any daily Bible reading plan.
- S for Scripture - Open your Bible to today’s reading (according to whatever plan you are following). Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in your journal.
- O for Observation - What struck you and caught your attention in what you read? What do you think God is saying to you in this scripture? Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and reveal Jesus to you. Paraphrase and write this scripture down in your own words.
- A for Application - Personalize what you have read, by asking yourself how it applies to your life right now. Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement, revelation of a new promise, or corrections for a particular area of your life. Write how this scripture can apply to you today.
- P for Prayer -This can be as simple as asking God to help you use this scripture, or it may be a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. Remember, prayer is a two way conversation, so be sure to listen to what God has to say! Now, write it out.
If you dare, read Pastor Jake’s booklet on reading the Bible entitled, “How to Read the Bible (Without becoming a cult-leader, heretic, snake-handler, Pharisee, etc…)”
- Talk to a Pastor! We love to teach.